List of education settings with confirmed RAAC published

September 15, 2023

List of education settings with confirmed RAAC published

From our colleagues at Barbour EHS.

The list of schools and colleges where the presence of Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) was confirmed by 30 August has been published by the Department for Education (DfE) (6 September 2023).

According to DfE, the majority of settings have already been able to put mitigations in place to open on time, with 104 settings providing face-to-face learning for all pupils this week.

A further 20 settings have put hybrid arrangements in place, with some pupils learning off-site, whilst 19 have delayed the start of term by a few days to ensure pupils can return to face-to-face learning safely on site. Settings offering remote learning are expected to do so for a very short period of time, in most cases for a matter of days.

Four have needed to move to remote learning for a short period of time. 9 settings have since been found not to have RAAC.

A caseworker has been provided for every school and college with confirmed RAAC, to provide tailored support including when face-to-face learning is in place. Funding for emergency mitigation work, including structural support and temporary accommodation, will also be available.

The Department says it has received responses relating to 95% of schools built in the period where RAAC was used. Figures published last week (6 September 2023) are likely to change over time as the final 5% return their questionnaires and surveys are carried out. Some will be added to the list of confirmed cases while others are resolved or found to be safe following further investigation.

Any responsible body or school that has notified the Department of suspected RAAC will be surveyed within the coming weeks and supported to put mitigations in place.

Education Secretary, Gillian Keegan, said: “I know this is the last way parents, teachers and children affected by this wanted to begin the new term, but it will always be my priority to ensure the safety of pupils and staff.

“Thanks to the hard work of schools, colleges, councils, diocese and academy trusts, the majority of settings where RAAC has been confirmed have opened to all pupils for the start of term.

“We will continue to support all impacted settings in whatever way we can, whether that’s through our team of dedicated caseworkers or through capital funding to put mitigations in place.

“We are also expediting surveys and urging all responsible bodies to tell us what they know about RAAC, so we can be confident that settings are safe and supported.”

The publication of the list follows the precautionary and proactive decision by the Department to ask settings to vacate any space or building known to contain RAAC. The government increased the supply of temporary buildings, working with three national contractors, and accelerated the installation of these. Leading utility companies are also supporting to ensure that those classrooms can be opened.

On funding, the Chancellor has confirmed that the government will spend whatever it takes to keep children safe. This includes paying for the emergency mitigation work, including alternative classroom space where necessary.

The Department has committed £1.8 billion in capital funding this year to support schools to stay operational, whilst 500 schools will also be transformed over the next decade through the School Rebuilding Programme. A further £1.5 billion has been made available for colleges through the Further Education capital transformation fund.

Last week, the DfE has also written to a small number of responsible bodies, including local authorities and multi-academy trusts, who have not yet informed the department about the presence of RAAC in their school buildings. The Department has asked all responsible bodies to respond to its questionnaire about the condition of RAAC by the end of the week.

Department for Education
September 2023

Our Comment

There is increasing evidence of the real risks associated with RAAC which reinforce the importance of introducing suitable and sufficient mitigation to address the acute risk and longer term structural improvements.

Contact

At William Martin, we bring unparalleled health & safety expertise and powerful technology to the table. Whatever your sector and wherever you are, we give you the support you need to keep compliant, strong, and successful.

This content has been produced in association with our sister company, Barbour.

For all enquiries, please contact us or call our team on 0203 819 8829.

Related Posts

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png Approved Document B 2024 amendments May 14, 2024

Approved Document B 2024 amendments

Updated Government guidance calling for second staircases in all new tall residential buildings over 18m.

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png Building Safety Regulator May 13, 2024

Building Safety Regulator Clarifies Design Requirements

The Building Safety Regulator (BSR) has been urged to provide more clarity.

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png landlord jailed May 13, 2024

Landlord Jailed After Fails to Meet Fire Safety Regulations

A landlord has been jailed after she “put the lives and safety of residents & employees at risk”.

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png fire safety breaches May 13, 2024

Significant fines imposed for fire safety breaches

A property management firm has been fined nearly £28,000 for serious breaches of fire safety regs.

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png housing company burns May 13, 2024

Housing Company Fined £500,000 After Worker Suffers Burns

A housing company has been fined £528,000 after an employee suffered burns to his face.

https://wmcompliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Barbour-JustIcon-wh.png remove asbestos May 13, 2024

Company ‘makes a shambles’ of asbestos removal

A company based in Kent has been fined £30,000, and its director fined £5,000.